Business requirements are changing almost as fast as the weather during a hurricane. Legacy servers lack the flexibility your data center environments demand to keep up the pace—including limited I/O and memory capacity. There are a variety of reasons that virtualization is in the catbird seat, among them the need to reduce the 70% spend of time and budget to maintain existing infrastructures, leaving only 30% of resources to devote to innovation.
The impetus for virtualization is the promise that it may just flip those two statistics to help IT provide improved value mapped to business performance. Confirming this intention is a recent survey that reported the top CIO priorities to include data center consolidation, server and storage virtualization and energy savings.
But, even more critically, the increasing demand for 24/7 IT services is adding pressure to how IT resources are applied to meet those business demands. With the year-over-year demands for IT to do more with less, something has to give. And, it must “give” without impacting the quality of service delivery, access to information, data and people. Trying to improve the way you’ve always done it to create new IT capabilities without virtualization will be a costly undertaking as most existing systems are likely approaching capacity levels and not agile enough to deliver on new business requirements.
As you look to virtualization to “save the day” there are a few things to consider:
- Performance levels of new systems must have adequate processing power and bandwidth to sustain workflows and response times.
- The system must be easy to manage and energy efficient to contribute to reduced operating costs.
- Consider the ease with which you’ll be able to create high-performance connections between servers and storage networks to enable the increased need for reads and writes that will be demanded of the infrastructure by consolidating applications. Costs also play here.
Virtualization can offer a lot of benefits to meet today’s needs, as well as tomorrows. If deployed purposefully, in line with business performance objectives, it can definitely help your IT department save the day.